Technical debt that is inevitable in a code system must be managed just like you manage your financial debts. There are simple ways to do so but unfortunately in both the scenarios, technical or financial debt management is ignored till the time situations go out of control. Both leads to dire situations but with a little variance such as:
- Financial debts leads to reduced finance health and low credit and
- Technical debt leads to low functionality of the code and even premature death of the company.
Therefore, just you should be diligent to repay your loan taken from a bank or any credit union or other lenders or look for better debt relief options at Nationaldebtreliefprograms.com or others, you should also repay your technical debt, to you and your loyal customers.
- Apart from you, it is also the responsibility of the entire software development team and also the stakeholders to ensure that tech debt is repaid.
- It is also important for the non-technical team to understand the existence of tech debts, the effects it can have on the code system and the business on the whole and the need for its repayment.
In fact, repayment of tech debt is essential for the survival of the company.
Considering technical backlog
Typically, all reliable and reputed software development companies produce useful and effective codes for their users. However, over time it may develop technical debt. It is therefore required that the companies ensure proper management of their code systems and technical debt and make sure the interest in the form of refactoring or reworking is paid in a timely fashion. This will help the company to maintain a proper balance between the short term and long terms benefits of code design along with earning enough profits from the business.
It is essential for the companies to consider technical backlog to deal with technical debt. For this they will need to know a few specific things such as:
- It is required to know about the best practices to deal with technical debt, sooner the better
- It is also required to know the technical work packages to implement
- The proper tools required for the process such as the Requirement Management tool that will act as a task tracker
- The proper supporting documents that needs to be provided with each task that is followed and
- The description of the job along with the technical changes that must be made in the code system and most importantly
- The specific section of the code that requires the change along with its reason and importance.
All this knowledge will not only help now but will also help in the future development of a code system.
- It will also help the team to know more about the rework, it reason and the benefits of future code development as they will know of the specific areas that are already worked on. This will reduce time, energy and labor.
- In addition to that it will help in the proper estimation of interest of each code and help them to take the right decision in reading the code and implementing the necessary changes.
- With such approach followed, tech debt will be visible to all members of the software development team, the non-technical team members and even the stakeholders and product owner.
- This will facilitate a unanimous decision about the necessity of refactoring in a code, the perfect time to go for it and the right processes to follow for that matter.
- Every team will be working in tandem to provide the best results with precise estimation of time and effort required to bring about such a change in the code.
- Such an approach is also useful to make out a clear difference between technical task and featured task as well.
Most significantly, it will help in prioritizing the tech debts according to the technical backlog in it making easier to repay it in the end.
Update and relief
You will be able to make right decisions on the updates considering the technical backlog when it comes to its requirement and other aspects. Apart from that, it will also make easier for you to ascertain the costs involved in making such updates as well as the inherent risks in it.
Ideally, technical backlog is the best element that will help you to determine whether or not you will need to make changes in the web framework, code architecture and other things that are extremely expensive.
Doing the things in the right way and implementing the changes just as desired by your users will provide relief to the customers since they themselves cannot bring out such changes. They will be able to use the code now more easily and gain more from it.
- This relieves the customers from need to know the essential requirements of the code base, the purely technical aspects of the job as well as the benefits that it will bring to the business.
- It will also eliminate the chances of mistrust regarding the incorporation of customer relevant feature in the task.
Therefore, understanding tech debt and its features is essential for you, your team as well as the stakeholders.
Different types of approaches
Typically, there are two different approaches followed by the software companies when it comes to addressing technical debts. It is the amount of interest in each code that plays the primary role in determining which approach to follow. This interest calculation is done by considering the technical backlog as well as the cost that is required to clear the debt.
- Buffer task recording is one such approach where a code release with a minimum time of 10% is provided. This time for refactoring is recorded and it helps in dealing with the unknown issues that may arise in the future.
- Release of clean code is another simple way to manage technical debt which is based on simple technicality that is improved from time to time keeping tech debt to the minimum level.
However, without proper knowledge of technical backlog making the proper choice may be difficult.