Nowadays, lesser and lesser people go to physical stores to buy things; they prefer surfing through the online store for whatever products and services they are looking for. Thus, by having an online business is becoming a must thing. But the online business needs promotion as there are innumerable websites on the net.
The benefits of doing so may be many: the most important being accentuating your website’s online presence and thereby increasing your sales. By practicing various off-page and on-page SEO activities that may include article submission, directory submission, forum commenting, social bookmarking, link exchange, link baiting, Title and Meta tag descriptions, Alt tags, internal linking, keyword research and Google analytics your website is brought into top positions on various search engines. The objective of any professional SEO services is to make your website highly visible so that anybody who searches for the keywords relevant to your business gets see your website on search engines like Google, MSN, Yahoo!, Bing and others.
Once you become popular or achieve highest possible positions on various search engines, people may find you easily. They may get to visit your webpage, and if they get what they want o your site, your sales will increase.
What is SEO?
An Internet newbie would probably ask what SEO means because the acronym SEO is unique to the world of the Internet, and Internet Marketing. Search engine optimization or SEO is basically the use of site optimization techniques so that your website would rank high on the search results on search engines. It is important that your site rank highly because Internet users usually rely only on the first few websites that rank highly on a search result. The websites which score much lower on search results may never been seen by the Internet user because of this.
There are some common Do’s and Don’ts that would dictate how you can make money online even if you work at home by relying on the right SEO techniques.
To start with friendly SEO, focusing on the Do’s are a good way to start.
- Do understand that the survival of your website depends on the volume of “traffic” that it can get. Traffic is another word to indicate how many people visit your site. The general belief is that the higher the volume of traffic, the higher will be your sales volume as a result.
- Do learn the difference between major search engines and minor search engines. There are four major search engines currently in use, namely, Google, Yahoo!, MSN and AskJeeves. These are considered major search engines because they are commonly-used ones. Minor search engines are those less-commonly used by people to search for keywords.
- Use SEO techniques that allow you to post your content on both major and minor search engines. Many websites can be found just on major search engines and ignore the minor search engines altogether. That would make you miss out on the opportunity to be seen by the niche markets that use the minor search engines. So to best use site optimization techniques, do post on minor search engines too.
- Do target specific potential visitors by using keywords they are most likely to use. For instance, if your key market is made up of today’s teenagers, then you may need to get acquainted with their special lingo so that you know which keywords modern-day teens are most likely to encode as their search terms.
Don’t use the wrong terms such as outdated expressions that were probably popular in your time but not nowadays. One reason for this is that your site would rank low on search results of search engines. With that in mind, realize that a low ranking simply means you would probably get low traffic which then results in poor sales.
- Do acknowledge that site optimization techniques are important to the survival of your website. Without great SEO working for you, you may find that other websites (especially those of your competitors) would get ahead of you based on search results on search engines. SEO is basically about whittling down your Internet Marketing strategy to the most necessary fundamentals so that search engine spiders don’t have a hard time giving your website a higher ranking.
Lastly, don’t hire just any SEO firm that you encounter on the Internet. If you feel you need SEO experts to help you out, then it is important to find very good ones before they can get paid your hard-earned cash. Anyone can market himself as an SEO expert but not everyone can boast of a winning track record. Unless you are open to giving newcomers to the SEO field a chance, it is best to choose those with a history of producing good SEO results for clients above all.
About the Author: Carol James is an EssayLab psychology department writer and senior editor. She has MA degree in social sciences and is an excellent specialist in this field. Carol works with numerous materials on the subject and is eager to share her knowledge with our readers.