Social media has become part of our daily live. Kids might not tell their parents about their activities but the parents still know where their kids are via Foursquare or with whom their kids are going via Facebook. The teenager might be shy to talk about her new boyfriend with her mom but not shy enough to answer her mom’s question in Twitter. These are the examples of how relationship between parents and kids are changing because of social media. And eventually it would change the parenting ways. This article would show you how social media could change the parenting ways. Some of them are showing bad influence of social media and some others are showing the good benefits of social media.
1. Social media builds old relationship along the new one. The prior purpose of social media like Facebook was finding the old pals from old schools that scattered around the country and making new friends with the same interest. These tools make connections between two people in different locations just like they are in the same room. Parents can build friendship to their kids’ friends and join the social circle of their kids via social media.
2. Social media gives full disclosure of the private life. The bad people could easily find the private information from social media. It might be innocent thinking when your teenager tags your house address in Foursquare but it will put your house in the risk of thieving. Parents who shared photos of their beautiful daughter in swimming suit via Facebook could risk the safety of their daughter. So be careful of what you are posting and tell your other family member to be careful too because the world are watching everything you put in social media.
3. Social media gather the people. When parents are tired with daily problem in the household and need to share their problem, social media could help them. There are many communities and group with specific interest in social media. Parents could find the group and share the parenting experiences and tips or other interest just like they are talking to the neighbors.
4. Social media are vulnerable to cyber-bullying. Cyber-bullying is something that could be happened to any person in social media, whether as victim or perpetrator. When you see any cyber-bullying in social media, it is hard not to join it. While the adults could be tempted to join cyber-bullying, the temptation of cyber-bullying in the teenager is even more. Educate your kids about the cyber-bullying effects and watch if there is any sign of cyber-bullying in the family before it is too late, since the effects of cyber-bullying are the same dangerous as physical bullying.
5. Social media gives opportunity to self promotion. Previously when parents had talented kids, they would search the best school and hope their kids got scholarship. Nowadays when parents have talented kids, they put the videos of their kids on YouTube and hope their kids become the next Justin Bieber. There is nothing with that because social media is free to use and it is their right to show the world how talented their kids are.
6. Social media take your times away. The temptation of social media is so big you do not realize how time flies when you are hooked on it. Parents should know the best time to catch the newsfeed of the social media unless they want to miss the development of their kids. Parents could make the rule in the family when the time for social media-free so they could talk to their children without phone in the hands.