Do you ever experience a problem when your external hard drive is not detected by your computer? This can be very annoying since the device mostly contains important files, photos, videos, or documents. So, how to recover files from external data that can’t be detected by your computer?
What Makes the Device Becomes Undetectable
You need to know that undetectable hard drive isn’t uncommon to happen. This is because the device is just like the other devices that are prone to damage and being corrupted. In this way, you need to be aware of any signs of the unexpected problems occurred on the hard drive. There are many things that can cause the device to become undetected include:
- abrupt system termination while it is connected
- sudden power surges while the hard drive is being used for data transfer
- malware or virus infection
- physical damage as the result of dropping or mishandling
- OS corruption or accidentally deletion of the hard drive system
To avoid the losing data, you are strongly suggested to store your important files on different devices and on a different location. When the data corruption is unavoidable, at least there are some things that you can do to solve the problem.
Common Fixes to Try
When your hard drive is undetected, there are some things that you can do for the external hard disk recovery.
- The first thing you can do is plugging in the external hard drive to another USB port and find out whether it works or not. If it works, then the problem is not on your hard drive but the USB port.
- The next thing to do is connecting the device to another computer.
- You can reassign the drive letter to the device by doing these following steps:
- Go to Start -> My Computer
- Take a note of all the letters that have been assigned to the device once the window opens.
- Choose the “Map a Network Drive” and then click on the button. After that, you should click on the “Drive” button displayed on the window.
- Select a drive letter that is not being used from the drop-down.
- Make sure that you browse and then navigate to find the external hard drive device that is unrecognizable and then you can click on the “OK” button.
- Once the above steps are completed, click on the “Finish” button before you close the window.
- When the process is accomplished, don’t forget to restart your computer and then reconnect the drive again. See if the steps work before you seek a help.
Why External Hard Drive Matters
External hard drive now is an important part of every data storage. There are many benefits that you can enjoy from the device.
- Large Capacities
The external hard drive will allow you to have large capacities of data storage. The device usually comes with 1TB in size or larger.
- High Speed
The device also offers high speed of recovery. This will make it possible for you to easily copy large files in a relatively short period of time.
One of the nicest things about using the device for data storage is that it is portable that you can bring it wherever you go. You can plug the device into any computer and it can be used instantly without the necessity to install it to any drivers.
- Easy to Use
The device is exceptionally easy to use. The hard drive can be automatically detected once it is connected to the computer.
What Software to Help
If the above steps can’t help you to get your important data back, you might need to use a software to get the things done. Today, there is a lot of software created for external hard drive recovery. There are many products that offer various features to enable users to retrieve files. However, not all of the software programs are best for your need. One of the best software for data recovery on the external hard drive is Recoverit. This software comes with a lot of interesting features that can give you a different experience of data recovery.
A problem in which your external hard drive can’t be detected is actually something common to happen. There are some things that can be effectively used to recover the data stored in the hard drive and one of them is by using the software. Recoverit is one of the most recommended software to help people retrieve the lost data because of the unexpected problems occurred in the hard drive device.