The immobility of people with disabilities and limited opportunities for daily life and self-care complicate the work of a nurse. The impossibility of free movement leads to a lot of psychological problems, but experienced personnel is able to solve them. Any household chores, changing clothes and washing, moving around the room cause difficulties, but they can be solved. The psychology of disabled children since childhood has been affected and requires a delicate attitude.
Disabled Care Tips
Often relatives cannot take over the custody of the disabled because they themselves have a health problem, their work schedule is uncomfortable, they do not have medical knowledge and there is no desire to put an end to one’s own life.
The solution will be hiring nursing staff for disability aids gold coast who are aware of the particularities of servicing this type of patient. What is included in the concept of disability?
A person cannot fully perform the daily chores of self-service and housekeeping. This may be a disability by hearing, vision, health problems in terms of walking, speaking, and awareness.
Advice on how to interact with people with disabilities
- Do not assume anything about people or their disabilities. Do not assume that you know what a person wants or feels, or what is best for them.
- Before helping someone, ask him if he wants help. In some cases, it may seem that a person with a disability is having a hard time doing something. However, he is well arranged and prefers to complete the task.
- Talk directly with the user, not with the interpreter, assistant or friend. It is not necessary that you ignore others completely, it is enough that you focus the interaction on the user.
- Speak normally. Some people have a tendency to speak louder and slower to people with disabilities. Do not assume that because that person has a disability, they also have a cognitive disability or do not hear well.
- Use the language of people first when you talk to people with disabilities. This type of language puts the person first and the disability in the background.
- Be aware of your personal space. Some people who use mobility aids, such as a wheelchair, walker or crutch, consider these devices part of their personal space.
How to draw up patronage over a disabled person
The registration procedure is an important part of caring for a disabled person when you legally confirm your intentions to care for and help a sick person.
Guardianship authorities will require your documents for the patronage of a patient of the 1st group:
- Applications for the desire to take custody of the disabled person.
- You provide information about your financial capabilities.
- Information about the absence of a criminal record.
- A certified medical document confirming your mental health.
- Evidence that your living space is ready for the placement of the ward.
You can deal with this issue yourself, or delegate it. After registration, you will find a monthly state control for money spent on the trustee and his state of health. If you have issued patronage over a relative with a disability, but want to continue working – contact a nurse, you are guaranteed a professional approach.
What problems does patronage over the disabled solve?
Physical abnormalities are not the worst option. A person with a disability in consciousness and a pure mind is able to perceive reality adequately, you can negotiate with him, and he wants to fulfill part of self-service instructions. Mental abnormalities of patients have a bad effect on recovery, the caregiver needs to enter the confidence circle of the person and find a common language with the patient, which is characterized by deviant behavior. However, all people with disabilities have the right to quality care and professional assistance.
When lying or partially immobilized, the following problems appear:
- Skin rash
- Pressure sores
- Cardiovascular failure
- Respiratory failure
- Failures in the digestive tract
- Atrophy of muscles not involved daily
- Joint pain
The nurse is engaged in the prevention of all complications according to the problem.
Microclimate and climate control
A disabled person can experience negative feelings, spill emotions on a guardian, and the intensity of emotions will be the higher, the more unpleasant the conditions of detention, the lower the threshold of trust between people. Here are 5 ways to protect the planet without disenfranchising people with disabilities.
Life and mutual understanding will become better if you try to understand the patient and support him despite aggression from the disabled person. Life gave him a difficult test and not everyone is given the courage to deal with it.
The secret of establishing friendships with the ward:
- Be sincere in your kindness
- Expand the patient’s social circle so that he doesn’t lock on you
- Listen more and remember the facts that the patient likes, about which he dreamed earlier than he would like to do in his spare time from everyday life and medical procedures.
What features for caring for a disabled person will be a revelation for you? No need to show pity. Give the person the opportunity to prove themselves and engage in daily chores.
Beauty will save the situation. Everyone wants to look tidy and attractive, despite the ailment. Encourage the patient’s desire to decorate himself. It is useful for women to apply makeup as a positive therapy to decorate the daily image with a bright scarf. It is important for men to be clean-shaven, to use cologne at will. Simple pleasures can heal no worse than proven scientific methods.
The visit of a hairdresser and a manicurist to your home is not expensive but always causes positive emotions.
Relationship with people with disabilities
Certain people feel uncomfortable talking to people with disabilities. This part offers some basic tips to help you when dealing with people with disabilities and to help people with disabilities to enjoy that interaction more.
To begin, let’s analyze the causes of why some people feel uncomfortable when they are with people with disabilities. One of the reasons is that some people feel sorry for them and assume that they are bitter because of their disabilities. In most cases, this is not true. Many people with disabilities feel that these experiences have enriched their lives and even, if they could choose, they would prefer not to do without their disability.
This article was addressed not only to health professionals but to all people interested in improving the quality of life of people with disabilities. Explaining the difference between the concepts of disability and with arguments that allow the change of mentality towards the individuals that present it. Another reason why some people feel uncomfortable being with people with disabilities is that they are afraid of saying something inappropriate. However, for most people with disabilities, that doesn’t matter too much. What matters is that you show respect for the person and see beyond their disability.