Afghani Cuisine is known for its scrumptious lip-smacking flavours. The afghani chicken is a dish which is usually served wrapped in a delectable rich and spicy mixture of cream, whisked eggs and lime juice. Prepared slightly dry with mild spices and served mostly as an appetizer, it tastes best when accompanied by some spicy chutney. Perfect starter or main course (with gravy) dish while hosting guests or during celebrations and hosting special occasions like parties, potluck, anniversaries, or even intimate dinners. This Afghani Chicken recipe is definitely worth a try and you could end up treating your near and dear ones to an amazing delicacy. Besides, if you want to make it a bit more delicious and creamy add some fresh cream and we bet it’ll be an instant hit. Unlike other Mughlai dishes, this one is slightly spicy, but you can garnish away with grated ginger, finely chopped green chillies and coriander(cilantro) leaves. This delectable and yummy chicken dish goes great with rice, flatbread (roti), or naan.
Larger chicken pieces turn out making the dry dish recipe tastier. You can use small cut chicken for the curry recipe. Afghani chicken is so easy to make, you don’t need onions, tomatoes and or any of the other regular stuff for the appetizer dish. Making Afghani Chicken into a curry or with gravy can easily turn it into a main course dish. Cashew nuts add a delicious richness to this delectable chicken curry, this super rich and creamy texture is a different, mouth-watering take on the regular recipe for cooking chicken.If you are a lazy homebody like me, then you could always use swiggy coupons and get great discounts on your order ins.
Course: Appetizer/ Starter
Cuisine: Mughal/ Afghan
Servings: It can serve approx. 5-6 people
Total time: approx. 1 hour
Prep time: 10-15 minutes; Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Calories: 500 kcal
What Would You Need?
- 1000 gm or 16 pieces of chicken (skinless preferred)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 4 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 tablespoon cheese spread
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- 6 tablespoon crushed to paste cashews
- salt as required
- 2eggs for the marinate
Preparation: Here’s how you can prepare this delicious Afghani recipe.
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces and let them dry.
- Take a mixing bowl and add ginger paste, garlic paste, salt and lime juice.
- Mix the ingredients well and keep aside.
- Then, take a bowl and marinate the chicken pieces with the mixture and keep it aside for about 20 minutes to allow the aromatics and flavour to soak in.
- After half an hour, add cashew paste, cheese spread, cream and whisked eggs to the mix. Let it stay for another 8-10 minutes.
- Once adequately marinated, place the chicken pieces in the skewers by slightly pricking on the chicken pieces and roast them in a preheated tandoor for another 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken pieces appear to be cooked, serve them hot with any chutney or spicy accompaniment of your choice.
Servings: It can serve approx. 2-3 people
Total time: approx. 45 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes
What Would You Need?
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Cashews – 10
- Yogurt / Curd – 3 tablespoons
- Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chat Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Cream – 4 tablespoons
- Kasuri Methi Leaves (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Take cashews and yoghurt in a blender and puree till a smooth paste is seen.
- Take all the remaining ingredients except the oil, in a bowl and mix well. Let it marinate for 2 hours for a nice infusion of flavour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the chicken pieces and fry till the outside of the pieces are a nice golden brown.
- Now add in the remaining marinade into the pan, add some water.
- Cook with the lid covered on low heat for 15 to 20 mins.
- Serve hot.
Afghan Chicken (Curry/Gravy)
Course: Main course
Servings: It can serve approx. 4 people
Total Time: approx. 35minutes
Prep time: 6-10 minutes; Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Ingredients for Afghani Chicken Curry Recipe
- Fresh chicken cut into 1-inch pieces 750 grams
- Ginger-garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Yoghurt 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala 1 teaspoon
- Chopped onions 3
- Cashew nuts 1/4 cup or 100 gm
- Melon seeds 1 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds 1 teaspoon
- Oil 2 teaspoons
- Saffron 1 pinch
- Marinate and set aside the chicken pieces tossed with ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, yoghurt, salt and half teaspoon garam masala powder for one hour.
- Take onions, whole cashew nuts, melon seeds and poppy seeds and cook under pressure with one cup of water. Wait until 2-3 whistles and then release the pressure and keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture into a mixer jar and blend to a silky smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan(preferably non-stick), add the marinated chicken and sauté for five to seven minutes.
- Add the well ground paste and toss and mix well.
- Cook for three to four minutes.
- Next, add the saffron(kesar) and mix well, cook for eight to ten minutes.
- Serve hot.
Chicken is arguably one of the most common meat protein and is a favourite among the non-vegetarians and food lovers around the world! When properly cooked, it can be served and presented in many guises. You could sauté it, fry it, toss it, broil or bake it, steam it – eat it any way you want to. Whatever its form may be upon being cooked, its flavour may vary but it still remains high in protein, low in fat and can be easily digested. Addition of cashews and cream elevates any dish and more so the Afghani Chicken and presents a fine dining variation to the menu. Hope you will give the varieties a try and let me know how it turns out for you.