There is no doubt about it – online marketing is getting harder with each passing day. To be successful, you need to have a wide array of skill sets and highly-technical knowledge.
From blogging to email marketing to social media marketing to content marketing and everything in between, you need to employ online strategies to grow your business.
In today’s article, you are going to learn how you can do just that. The goal of an effective online marketing strategy is to bring you more customers and help you retain new ones.
1. Search Engine Optimization
Back then, ranking algorithms didn’t reign supreme and thus ranking a website was easy. But flash-forward to today and you require to do a ton of things in order to get your business discovered relevantly when searched online.
Search engines, especially Google, have developed complicated algorithms that changed the way websites rank on search engine results pages (SERPs). With all the complexity involved, ranking on Google is now akin to obtaining a doctoral degree in mathematics or physics.
But as a savvy entrepreneur knows, ranking on SERPS is an effective way to market their business online. The traffic is free and can convert really well if the content is relevant, high-quality and highly targeted to your audience and business needs.
So, what do you need to do to become effective in ranking your website? Well, first and foremost, you need to provide immense value and convey crucial information in your niche and industry. The following are other things you will also need to do:
- Shift your business from more general to a more specific niche. For example, rather than offer general home renovation services, niche down and consider specializing in “custom kitchen makeovers” or “one-day bathroom renovations.”
- Pick keywords that you can easily rank on SERPs. This is a mistake that far too many businesses make. They try to compete with the who-is-who in their space, and then wonder why their site isn’t ranking well after being “optimized”. Some nifty tools to help you in your keyword search efforts include Moz Keyword Explorer, KeywordTool.io, Ahrefs Keyword Explorer, and even Google’s own Keyword Planner.
- Provide your audience with great content. You’ve probably heard it before – content is king. If you want to really rank high in search results, you need to have a solid content marketing strategy.
- Work to acquire authoritative links that point to your website. Backlinks play an important role when it comes to ranking. In fact, backlinks are the strongest ranking signal. Just make sure to acquire high-quality ones, as backlinks aren’t created the same.
2. Social Media Marketing
Social media has become completely embedded in today’s society. Millions of people and countless customers are using it to find new information, brands, and industry brands.
Statistics from Statista estimates that as much as 70 percent of the U.S. population has at least one social media profile. Millennials make up 90.4%, Generation X make up 77.7%, and Baby Boomers make up 48.2% of all the social media users.
Facebook, with 2.4 billion active users every month, is by far the most popular social media platform. YouTube comes second at 2 billion, Instagram at 1 billion, and Twitter at 340 million active users.
At its most basic level, marketing your business on social media involves being personable, building an online community, and interacting with followers.
3. Content Marketing
Content marketing is at the heart of the most successful digital marketing campaigns. Generally, it is all about attracting and retaining visitors and eventually turning them into customers. Some of the advantages of content marketing include:
- More conversions – It’s no secret that good content can help a business generate more leads and sales.
- Increase brand awareness – Publishing great content is one of the best ways to get your brand noticed and solidify your online reputation.
- It’s good for SEO – Properly researched content will outrank poorly written pieces of content in search engine results pages.
- Increase user engagement – Good content is engaging and users will interact with it by providing useful ratings, reviews, and comments.
- Get more visits from social media – People are more likely to share good quality content on social media. This can help you generate more traffic to your website.
- Get more targeted visits from search engines – This is the ultimate goal of any online business and a good content marketing strategy can help you with it.
And yet, despite its potential, only a small clique of marketers knows how to implement it effectively. As a matter of fact, only 62 percent of businesses have a documented content strategy.
The following are some tips to help you with marketing your content.
- Have a goal in mind. Collect as much data from the audience you are targeting and set up the right campaigns to reach them. For example, when looking for keywords to rank for, look for ones that are not only easy to rank for but also those that are actually being searched for online.
- Create valuable content for your target audience. Your goal should be to create valuable content that helps boost conversions and improve customer retention. When creating content, make sure it’s 100% unique, focuses on solving a problem, and includes images, videos, and infographics.
- Make use of multiple distribution methods. Don’t just publish content on your website and then sit back and relax. Rather, have a solid plan on how to distribute it to as many relevant platforms as possible.
4. Email Marketing
Email marketing is also another effective way to market your business online. It basically encompasses online marketing via blogs, social media, websites, and more.
Done right, it can help you cultivate relationships with potential customers, encourage customer loyalty, and keep current customers informed and updated on your brand.
To develop an effective email marketing strategy, you first need to have a goal. So, take a hard look at your customer’s buying habits and leverage that information to develop your strategy.
Marketing your business online is a must for any serious business out there. While it can seem rather intimidating, it can help your business reach a whole new level of competitive marketing.