Fireplaces add character to a living room and warmth during the cold of winter. Traditional fireplaces include old-fashioned, wood-burning logs — whereas, electric fireplaces offer eco-friendly, cozy ambiance without the hassle and mess.
In this post, you will learn:
- What new, modern technology is available
- Electric fireplace technology features and benefits
What new, modern technology is available?
If you are considering a fireplace makeover, consider some of the following, exciting design choices:
- Firebricks – While metal-lined fireplaces may reflect heat back into the room — fire bricks can be up to 25 percent more efficient.
- Zone Heating – Supplemental fireplace inserts installed throughout your home give you added flexibility to use heat in designated zones instead of the entire home.
- Ethanol Fireplace – Some of the higher-end models can burn denatured alcohol for up to seven hours without needing to be replenished.
- Ventless Gas Fireplaces – Use gas instead of wood as fuel, these units output a “smokeless” heat.
- Direct Vent Technology – Gas-powered fireplaces vent through a side wall.
- Power Venting Technology – Gas fireplace that is sleek, fan-powered venting that is capable of zigzagging throughout your home to ensure safe fireplace operation and a consistent burn.
Electric fireplace technology has been evolving over the years as well. There are several factors that contribute to the innovation in this specialty retail vertical. Here is a breakdown of the different type of electric fireplace technologies:
- Mechanical – A rotating cylinder with LED lights
- Steam or Mist – Water is vaporized and tinted orange to simulate realistic flames
- Gel – A combustible fuel source is burned as an alternative to gas or wood
- Holographic – Video of real flames is projected onto a log set creating the illusion of real fire
Learn more about electric fireplace technology from this electric fireplace buying guide. It shares about different manufacturers, products, and models to consider for your home and living space.
Electric fireplace technology features and benefits
Remember that an electric fireplace insert is modern technology that is considered more energy efficient with realistic flame effects. There is a difference as we have mentioned between more cost-effective mechanical inserts compared to the luxury holographic electric fireplaces. We’ve found the best electric fireplace usually has advanced technology that includes impeccable realism, sound and bluetooth that can work with a smartphone app.
Creating instant ambience and warmth in any room of your home with an electric fireplace is easier than you think. They require no venting and installation. Simple and easy as plugging the unit into a standard household outlet. If you want to enjoy a beautiful flame year-round with fully controlled heat, these products are for you.
The exclusive holographic electric fireplace category delivers immersive details in the flame quality such as the organic movement of the fire, the coloring of the flames, simulated smoke, and rising burning embers. They also combine sound with video flame technology to make for a very realistic experience. As a result, these types of fireplaces are the most realistic on the list.
Advanced electric fireplaces use unprecedented technology to render flames and sparks for a virtual fireplace experience like no other. The unique approach to these units combines ultra realistic flames that spark and crackle.
Built-in heat and sound are an added bonus. Units should have a minimum of 5,000 BTUs as a secondary heat source to warm up to 1,000 square feet. Combine this with zone heating and the combination is efficient and effective.
The addition of sound can pull an electric fireplace closer to the traditional, wood-burning experience by generating pop and crackle to simulate the sound of real wood fire.
Crackling log sound and some units with nature sounds deliver ambiance and relaxation. It completes the symphony for the senses when combined with the dazzling realistic flame effect of electric fireplaces.
The electric fireplaces with crackling sound effects are most of the time the complete experience. The models of high-quality, logically, are more expensive. However, if your budget is limited, you will still find plenty of matches, just limited with features and technology. As a friendly-reminder, not all the models of electric fireplaces with sound effects come with the heater. So, be sure to understand your space and aesthetic needs along with your budget.
There are so many electric fireplace options on the market today due to their increasing technology advancements and improved quality of life over traditional fireplaces. Compare, research, and shop to find the best options and pricing available.