Multiple myeloma is a plasma cell type of cancer. Plasma cells are a unique kind of white blood cell that is an important element of the human body’s immune system function. Plasma cells usually are found around in the bone marrow and make antibodies or protein cells, that flow in the blood and assist to combat certain sorts of infections. Patients suffering from multiple myeloma have a high amount of abnormal plasma cells that may build excessive quantities of unfit antibodies noticeable in the blood and urine samples. Paraproteins is what doctors call such types of antibodies that are harmful in the long run.
Cancer starts to formulate in the body when cells appear to enlarge boundlessly. These unfit Cells in nearly any part of the human body can produce cancer and can increase the risk of spreading. Similarly, the emergence of standard antibodies gets narrow making a patient vulnerable to fight against bacterias and infection.
Following symptoms of multiple myeloma may vary from one patient to another and, at the rising phase of the disease, there may be no such indications. Symptoms include:
- spine or chest pain
- Loss of appetite
- Mental dilemma
- exhaustion and fatigue
- prone to infections
- weight reduction
- Weakness and pain in the bone
Treatment in India
The rate card of cost of Multiple myeloma treatment in India can reach from 11,000 USD to 13,000 USD. India is becoming among the best spot for medical treatment as patients are well familiar with the charm of five-star services at affordable rates. The search for the best hospital for multiple myeloma can be completed with so many options in the cities like- Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, etc. India’s costing rates expand till the only 1/10th portion of what is in the West.
With the most accurate medical aid, India stands at a 90% recovery rate for this disease. Not only this, it is gaining trust as a nation for the medical industry among tourists. People can now reach India easily with medical visa services and quick accessibility with air bubbles available. There is no denying a fact of hardworking doctors and surgeons available for the treatment. Also, there is no barrier to communication as everybody speaks English. Also, plus point for medical tourists is no waiting period as in the US or UK.
Multiple myeloma impacts on the parts of the kidney, bones, and bone marrow region. It may initiate an excruciating pain in the back or chest, pelvis, and ribs. A patient suffers from Anemia or bleeding from the nose or gums. Easy bruising or breakage in the bones is also there. Patients with multiple myeloma are more likely prone to infections. Kidney failure and weight loss are less common in other symptoms category.
If the professional doctor checks that the patient’s symptoms are due to multiple myeloma disease, a few tests are taken to find out for a sure purpose. These tests will figure out if the cancer risk is high or low. The following tests that a patient undergoes are:
- Blood test: Multiple myeloma affects the levels of blood cells that are spotted under this test. Also, your blood is looked out to check M proteins, which is made by the cells of multiple myeloma. This test checks and also show calcium levels and check for problems in the kidney.
- Urine test
- Bone XRAY to examine thinning of bones
- Bone marrow biopsy
Following a diagnosis process of multiple myeloma disease, a patient likely needs other tests for further medicinal purposes. This procedure helps your medical aid providers acknowledge more about the cancer stage. They can help classify the stage of cancer and how to prevent it. The stage shows the severity of the condition of how far it has spread in the body. It is one of the most crucial things to determine when deciding how to further treat cancer.
A patient should be well aware of his/her disease and the stage. They should keep asking their doctors about it and cooperate with the treatment and medications. They should go on time for proper tests and check-ups so that the cancer is treatable without any further causes for a better healthy lifestyle. Multiple myeloma may be treatable with the following options:
- Active observation
- Chemotherapy and other medications
- Stem cell transplant
Talk it out with medical providers about the medical aid options available. Make a list of questions to get answers for. Kindly notice the pros and cons and also side effects of each treatment. Communicate about your issues with the doctor before making any choice of decision.
Cancer treatment can be hard on the body sometimes. To stay healthy, try to follow these steps:
- Eat a healthy balanced diet, with more intake of food rich in proteins.
- Have a liquid diet often and drink a good amount of water, fruit juices, and other liquids.
- Be physically active and do exercise every day.
- Take proper rest when needed.
- have a talk with the medical team about ways to treat side effects.
- Take your medicines on time
When to contact a healthcare provider?
Your healthcare provider will talk with you about when to call. You may be told to call if you have any of the below:
- New symptoms or symptoms that get worse
- Signs of an infection, such as a fever
- Side effects of treatment that affect your daily function or don’t get better with treatment
Ask your healthcare provider what signs to watch for, and when to call. Know how to get help after office hours and on weekends and holidays.
- Have all the information about the disease and your symptoms to know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Beforehand of your visit, write down the questions you want answers for.
- Bring your acquaintance or family member while visiting the doctor to have moral support.
- At the visit to the doctor, remember the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medications and treatments, or tests. Also, write down any new instructions if the doctors add.
- the patient should be aware of why a new medicine or treatment is advised, and how it will be beneficial in long run.
- Be regular in tests, dates, and checkups.