Competitive exams are the examinations that grade you and rank you as per your performance in the examination. This is a common practice of exams and is beneficial for the student to realize where they stand in the real world. Various students have been ranking in their schools and colleges and took that for granted, but got the real picture when they sat for competitive exams like GATE, UPSC, and other such examinations. These exams have a specific passing criterion. If the exam is open for x number of positions, then only the first x number of the student will pass in it, and the rest are rejected.
The competitive exams can often be hard for the student who may not make it, and that is a lot because it takes a lot of preparation and effort in preparing for the exams. When after such hard work and preparation if you don’t pass the exam then it becomes a significant point of depression. They are the exams that are usually taken for the admissions and eligibility to join a college or university. The best students are allowed in the best colleges. Exams like GATE and UPSC are the extremely popular but difficult examinations to crack, and the ones who do are pure brilliance.
The preparation for competitive exams like GATE and UPSC are essential and should be taken very seriously. There are a number of things that should be kept in mind while preparing for such a competitive exam. The studies are an essential part of the preparation, but there should also be other aspects like the proper maintenance of health and even the stress-busting techniques before the exams. Here are few of the most effective ways in which you can better prepare yourself for the competitive exam:
- Avail and Schedule Your Syllabus You should make sure that you have the proper syllabus. That is the first step of the preparation. Get a thorough understanding of the curriculum and also go through the past years’ questions to have enhanced knowledge about the type of questions that are asked in the exams. Then you should schedule your syllabus and make a timetable as to when and for how long you will study each topic.
- Buy Study Material and Study them.
Get all the relevant study materials that you need for your particular exam. You may avail it from the online realm or even get it from the market and buy it. Study materials can also be availed from any candidate who has attempted the exams previously. They will also give you proper guidance as to how to study as well. After getting the study material, you also need to study them thoroughly. That is the primary point in this whole thing.
- Enroll for an Online Test Preparation Program A great way to be well prepared is to enroll for one of the online exam preparation programs. They will help you have a detailed guide for the exam. You will also have a vast knowledge of what kind of questions may be asked. These programs support the candidates to prepare solely for the particular exam, and the level of focus is immense. This can be extremely beneficial for you in all possible ways.
- Healthy Routine and Stress Handling The management of your food habits and the sleep is also important during the preparation period. There is no point in stressing yourself so hard that on the next week you fall ill and the whole week is wasted out of your illness. The entire purpose is defeated in this way. Your health is also important, and you should take proper care of it. The stress is a major aspect before exams. You should know how to calm yourself down, and the best way is to remain confident about yourself. You can even meditate for a short time on a daily basis.
- Plan Your Studies The planning of the studies is an integral part of exam preparation. You need to plan your studies and also study them accordingly. Schedule your syllabus and also your study material and make a routine as to what to study and when. Keep your routine a little flexible as you will need some time for breaks and rests.
- Avail Practice Tests Mock tests and practice tests are essential for the preparation of the competitive exams. This makes you more confident and also helps you get used to the stress and pressure of the competitive exam. These tests are just like your actual exam tests but are set by other people. The mock tests help you realize the amount of preparation you still need.
- Keep the Distractions Away During the exams, the cell phones and laptops or TV can be a significant distraction. You should keep them all away while you are studying. Study for a short period, but make sure that how long you study, is a reliable study.
These are the various important things that you should keep in your mind to prepare well for you GATE or UPSC competitive exams. The tips mentioned above are the quintessential guide for you to prepare in the best manner for your exam. There are a lot of things to take care of while preparing for your exams. You should also never study when you are sleeping. It is a waste of time as your mind registers hardly anything at all. Then again you should also not drown in coffee and become a night bird. You should study well when you should. It is best to study in the early mornings as the mind is fresh after a good night’s sleep at that time.
You should also prepare your mind for the examination. You should be confident about yourself but never too confident. Be humble and always make sure that you are reading the questions carefully. Competitive examinations are known for tricky questions to test how alert you are. Always keep your mind open and never try to think of any problem or question most complexly. Majority of the questions are solved through straightforward solution itself.