In the era of globalization has sprung social media with features that are very diverse. All people have the social media accounts, ranging from adults, students and children using social media to share the needs. Even children who are not yet old enough is already familiar with Path, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Line, and many more. Social media actually have the positive impact. Social media can connect us with friends, family and business colleagues. Through social media we can save a lot of time. However, many people who experienced depression due to social media. Social media lead to depression because many people who cannot use social media wisely.
The Positive Impact of Social Media
Before we discuss about social media lead to depression, the following is the positive impact social media can be utilized:
• Social media can unite us with friends, family, relatives who have not met us. We can send a greeting, pictures and other content that can make our relationship stays close to them.
• Social media can increase our friend. We can communicate and get acquainted with the new people that we do not know at all. Social media is not restricted by geographical area so that we can get acquainted with many people from different countries.
• We can exchange information such as data, text, images, video, sound, and so quickly and cheaply.
• Can be an easy means to buy products or services. Consumers will not have far to come to the store, they can save money and time by looking at the computer screen or smart phone.
The Negative Impact of Social Media
• Social media makes a person difficult to socialize with people around him. This is because social media users do not want to learn to communicate in the real world. Very active social media users to install all of the things they do, but when they encounter it directly turns out they are quiet and not a lot of hanging out.
• Users of social media would be more concerned about friends in their account. If walking or traveling with someone, they will be busy with their gadgets.
• Users of social media typically use informal language so that these habits will carry over and they are difficult to use formal language.
• By using social media we can be exposed to crime in cyberspace.
Depression Because of Social Media
If we are too fanatical in using social media, then we can get depressed. Social media lead to depression for some people because they are usually jealous owned by others drawn on their social media accounts. When using social media you are attacked by a wide range of interesting picture of the lives of your friends so that you may be thinking of their lives more enjoyable than your life. For some people, social media will be the place to compare what you have with what is owned by someone else. If that happens, then there will be dissatisfaction to you. Another cause is if there are haters in your account. Usually this happens to an artist who has a lot of haters. If they are not strong with insults and taunts from the haters, they can perform malicious acts and even suicide. It has been shown to occur in some countries many artists or ordinary people who committed suicide because heckled by their friends on social media. If we upload something on social media certainly we expect a response from other users, now when we upload does not get a response, then we’re disappointed and even depressed because of the trivial issues. So you should use social media wisely.