Pickleball is a unique game and often gets described as a mixture of tennis, table tennis, and badminton. Even the court dimensions are similar to that of the tennis or the badminton. Like the above mentioned and similar sports, the game of pickleball starts with a serve. If you want to give yourself a better chance of winning a game, you need to develop a good serve.
To know more about the pickleball strategy for serving, all you need to do is read on.
Common mistakes to avoid while serving
It is imperative to avoid the following common mistakes which will lead to a fault while playing pickleball, and these are as follows.
- If you do not serve the ball diagonally to the opposition court, it gets deemed as a fault.
- If you serve directly into the net, you are at fault.If you hit the ball after the second bounce, it is a fault.
- If you volley a return from the non-volley area of the court you are at fault.
- When you run the ball beyond the dimensions of the court, it is a fault.
With every fault, a point is awarded to the opponent and goes down as unforced errors on your part. So, keep in mind these basic rules.
Now let us take a look at how to serve and the basics of it.
About the pre-serve routine
The pre-serve routine is all about concentration. It is something that every player does according to their skill-set to calm the nerves and control the emotions. You can try the following expert tips as your pre-serve routine.
- Take a deep breath and forget what happened in the previous play.
- Spin the ball up in the air while serving.
- You can even bounce the ball off the floor before you serve as the tennis professionals do.
- Stare at the ball to avoid mis-hitting while serving.
- Fix your aim to serve concerning side of the opponent and the direction.
Aim right while serving
If you are a beginner, you should keep in mind to serve in the middle of the court. A professional will always hit the corners while serving, but you need to practice before you can get to the pro level precision. You can practice by placing a plastic bottle at various parts of the opposition court and aim to hit.
Knowing the court
You should also know the court better to serve better. Middle area is where the beginners should learn to aim. The backline is the best to confuse your opposition about the placement and time he/she will have to react. However, you cannot serve directly in the “kitchen” or the no-volley area.
Practice the right body form
For achieving pro-level in any sports and games, it is essential to have the correct body posture. This will ensure that you do not injure yourself as well as maximize the biomechanical potential of your body. Use your weight and put it on your back-foot while serving with power and lean forward during the follow through for accuracy. Keep in mind that you need to grip the paddle tightly for better contact with the ball.
Keep in mind these simple tips when it comes to pickleball serve to improve your game.