Health and safety in the workplace is of paramount importance. For a manager or owner, it is vital that health and safety practices are set and followed. Without these in place, there could be a higher risk of injuries and safety issues. In addition, your business could be held liable for incidents that occur due to a lack of health and safety.
This is why it is important for businesses to impose health and safety rules, and ensure that their employees are aware of them. In addition, it is important to make sure that employees adhere to them. This helps to create a safer environment for all concerned, and minimizes on risk for all those in the workplace.
Simple tips to help
There are a number of key tips that can help any business to promote enhanced safety. It is important to make sure that everyone who comes to work is able to benefit from a safe environment, which means reducing and eliminating risks. Some tips that can help include:
- Fire escapes: It is imperative that any fire escapes and exits are kept free and easily accessible ready for evacuation. If there is ever a fire, and these exits are blocked, it could prevent the escape of employees or other people in the building. This could lead to injury of even death. You must therefore make sure that these exits and escapes can always be accessed with ease.
- Make sure your workers do no abuse substances: Anyone that uses drugs or alcohol prior to or during work is a danger to themselves or others. There are various ways in which you can check for alcohol or drug misuse. You don’t have to spend a fortune. You can use a cheaper way to do a drug test like the home hair drug test kits.
- Protective clothing: If your employees work with hazardous or toxic materials/equipment, you must ensure that they have the right protective clothing. Without this, they could suffer severe injuries or worse. The protective gear that is required will depend on the type of material or machinery they work with.
- Policy and training: It is not good enough just to quickly tell your employees about health and safety, and hope that it has gone in. Make sure that all health and safety policies are clearly displayed, and have a notice board dedicated to it. This makes it easy for staff members to access information. In addition, arrange some training events for staff members to attend.
- Working conditions: The right working conditions are an important part of health and safety. Your employees should not be put at any risk when it comes to their safety or their health. This means everything from carrying out equipment checks and DSE checks through to ensuring they have the right lighting and ventilation.
These are just some of the key areas that you have to look at as an employer. By following these tips, you can ensure that you have some of the basics covered.